Tuesday, December 13, 2011

We Are Hopeful!

Today I had my first RE appointment.  I was suuuuuper nervous about going because we have become accustomed to receiving bad news recently.  But to our surprise- we left feeling great!

RE started focusing on DH since we know there is definitely a fertility issue there.  He was appalled at the blood work results he received from DH's endocrinologist.  He specifically said, "this is 'F'ing terrible!"  RE explained that all of DH's levels were far below what he considered "normal."  He then went on to berate the urology reports- apparently, DH's testicles and prostate are the maturity of A 4 YEAR OLD!  What?!  How could the urologist have missed this? 

After the shock of that information wore off, the RE got down to business.  Both of us gave blood samples.  He ordered an MRI for DH, plus decided to put him on HCG (I totally didn't know men were put on that).  He is "cautiously optimistic" that this will jump start DH's sperm production.  In addition, it is expected to help with his depression.  We are not expecting to see normal levels of sperm, but we need 3 million to try IUI.  I mean, IUI could be a possible option for us- everyone else has told us flat out NO!  I know at this point we still have zero sperm, and there is a chance that may never change, but so far this is the best news we've heard.  Without him actually saying the words, we got the vibe that he's pretty confident he can at least find 1 for IVF- hooray, 1 sperm!!!  Seriously, we'd take it!


My ultrasound went well- all necessary parts are there and seem healthy.  Now we are just waiting on our blood results and DH's MRI.  DH will give a semen analysis in 3-4 months to see if his treatment worked.  It seems like a long time to wait, but I think it's better than making DH go through a biopsy now and most likely find nothing.

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I found your blog on the last ICLW and automatically started following because we are kind of in the same boat. I'm so happy to hear someone is getting good news when it comes to azoospermia! I hope the treatments work out for your husband!

    And...I passed on an award to you...come over to check it out! difamily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete